Pickering Sports Medicine & Wellness Centre is an active participant in Complete Concussion Management, which is a network of 130+ sports medicine and physiotherapy clinics with advanced training and certification in the management and rehabilitation of concussion and concussion-related disorders.
- Baseline Testing
- For athletes prior to starting their sporting season to assess physical and cognitive systems that could potentially become affected by concussion. The true value of baseline test results is on the back-end, when making return-to- play decisions.
- Acute Injury Management
- Comprehensive concussion & neurological assessment
- Step-wise return-to-learn, return-to-work, and return-to-sport programs
- In accordance with best-practices and worldwide consensus statements
- Including multistage physical exertion testing to assess for heart-rate and cerebral blood flow
- Neurocognitive, balance, and visual assessments & therapy
- Chronic Injury Management (Post-Concussion Syndrome)
- Comprehensive multi-stage assessment and rehabilitation for:
- Balance/Vestibular disorders
- Visual and oculomotor disorders
- Exercise rehabilitation for cerebral blood flow impairment
- Sleep hygiene education
- Nutrition & dietary counseling promoting healing and reducing inflammatory response
- Manual therapy for cervical headaches
- Cognitive Impairment
Our clinic is now an official Complete Concussion Management™ clinic. As concussions have become the focus for both professional and amateur athletes around the world, we at Pickering Sports Medicine & Wellness Centre wanted to be at the forefront of concussion diagnosis, management, and rehabilitation. With our collaboration and education through Complete Concussion Management we now offer the very best in research-proven concussion treatments and rehabilitation.
What is a concussion?
A concussion can be simply defined as a disruption in neurological functioning following a significant impact to the head or elsewhere on the body. This causes a biochemical imbalance within brain cells as well as decreased blood flow and temporary energy deficits within the brain.
Following a suspected concussion, a player should be immediately removed from play, assessed and placed on complete rest in order to recover from the energy deficit. Studies have shown that any activity, both mental and physical, in the immediate days following concussion can delay the process of recovery and should be avoided until the athlete is completely symptom free.
What is baseline testing?
The biggest concern surrounding concussions comes from the energy deficit that occurs in the brain following injury. When the brain is in this low energy state, it has been well established that the brain is extremely vulnerable to additional trauma, where even smaller impacts can lead to another concussion; and these second concussions can cause severe brain injuries with potentially permanent or fatal outcomes.
The problem is that symptoms (meaning how someone feels) do not coincide with brain recovery. The only way to know when the brain has fully recovered and out of this “vulnerable period” is to compare current brain function to when the individual was healthy; this is what is known as a “baseline test”.
A baseline test is a battery of tests that measures every area of brain function that could potentially become affected following a concussion (you need more than computer tests!!). The reason that the test is termed a “baseline” is because it is done BEFORE the athlete gets injured. In order to know when an athlete has fully recovered, we first have to know where they were when they were healthy. Without having this information, there is no way to truly know when an athlete has fully recovered and is safe to return to their sport.
Baseline testing is the most important thing to get done prior to beginning your sports season on a yearly basis.
Complete Concussion Management™
Complete Concussion Management™ is a concussion research company that educates healthcare practitioners on cutting-edge concussion therapies and management strategies based on the most current medical research so that they may provide the highest quality of concussion treatment and follow-up outside of professional sports.
Certified Complete Concussion Management™ practitioners are continuously updated on current research and treatments in order to manage these injuries properly and safely to ensure adequate recovery, thereby limiting the risk of further injury and long-term brain damage.
- The most comprehensive baseline testing anywhere
- Post-injury diagnosis and injury management
- Concussion rehabilitation for chronic symptoms (Post-Concussion
- Coach & trainer education and certification programs
The CCMI Network
Complete Concussion Management™ is the largest network of specialized concussion clinics in all of Canada. Athletes tested through our program can have preferential access to any CCMI certified clinic across the country. All of these clinics have received the same training, are conducting the same tests, and using the exact same equipment. This means that if you are baseline tested in your town and you are out of town for a tournament and you get a possible concussion, you can walk into that clinic and be tested and compared against YOUR OWN baseline!